Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Letting Go....

Hi all!

It's a new year...again...SO MUCH PRESSURE! Hahhaha!

I rarely make New Year's Resolutions because I really try to work on things all year and often those things change.  But I did pick a word I am trying to keep in mind for the New Year or at least for now and that is "freedom".   A big step towards freedom for me is letting go and I came across a great list of things to let go of  for the New Year and sort of built on it and re-worded it to fit me.  (You can read the original article HERE.)

In Alcoholics Anonymous we love our quick sayings and tag lines and one of my favorites has always been "You will find it necessary to LET THINGS GO simply because they are heavy."  (In later research I found the source of the quote - C. JoyBell C.)



So simple and yet so tough to do...


But it is something I must remember how to do if I am going to find my way back to freedom....


It takes an awful lot of energy to hold on so tightly to so many things....and it changes nothing.....these are people/places/things I have no control over....


And so this is what I will meditate on for as long as it takes - something I did not wait until the New Year to start and it is gradually helping, a tiny bit of peace, just a glimpse, but I have faith it will grow.

"For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit." (Alcoholics Anonymous, Fourth Edition, p. 66)

1 comment:

  1. Marti this is so true. I struggled with an eating disorder for half my life. It was hell to get through but I think once I nailed the real issue I was able to let go of the self loathing ; the real root of my problems. I tell ya, breaking free and putting yourself out there is terrifying . I don't always comment on your posts but a lot of them really speak to me. I love your honesty and the fact that you are REAL !!

    ReplyDelete