Friday, June 27, 2008

Thinking Outside The Block Fridays & Studio G update

Is it Friday already??!! Before we get into our tutorial a studio G update - since today is sort of all about Studio G or at least those annoying little blocks we have all grown to hate but i hope to help you learn to love!!

All of the studio G items have arrived!!!

you will receive a shipping notice when i print your label - international folks just know they are on their way as i will probably not be able to get you an email in a timely manner! i am down my two sweat shop workers as they are off visiting their dad (my two teenage boys) so i will be on my own for this one! HAHHAHA!

and now on to the good stuff - Let me start by saying this is NOT my idea - i totally scraplifted this from my friend Jen - see hers here. And now my friends what you have are adorable little wall hangings!

These two are matching - one for me and one for my mom.

i love the bead pops from sugar and scraps around the edges.

This is a larger one that says Welcome and is hanging in my foyer. closer pics later in the tutorial!

now for supplies - blocks, patterned paper, mod podge, brayer (optional), brilliance pearlescent dew drops or other pigment ink pad, stamps, die cuts or stickers, foam blender, zip dry glue or glossy accents, bead pops and stickles.



start by cutting the squares of patterned paper for the back of your blocks. i just lay them down and mark it - forget the ruler.



on this one for the foyer i used different patterns. on the art one i used the same paper for all of the blocks.




apply a thin layer of mod podge to the block - i use a foam brush. it doesn't need to be very thick.



i find it helps to use my brayer to smooth it out and get the air bubbles out. Check it from the front to be sure.


here they are all covered on the back. now if you are sloppy like me they also have smudges of mod podge on the front or hang over one edge a bit. i used the edge of my plastic tim holtz ruler to get the smudges off, just be careful not to scratch up the block. trim edges with exacto knife if needed.




now for the stamping - ahhhh LOVE it. i used crimson brilliance pearlescent dew drop ink here so it would match my foyer wall. i used various studio g stamps from series 11 (crazy those peeps who say they never use theirs - mine are out constantly!!) i decided the top and bottom block would have an edge stamp on them and then i also decided to push them all together so the stamps go over the edge of one on to the other and i just stamped randomly. REMEMBER to dry the ink with your heat gun.

here you can see how they overlap and the edge stamp on the bottom. the pics don't begin to capture the shimmer - you'll just have to trust me on that one!!



I cut my letters with the base camp cart on my cricut and the top and bottom design from the home accents cart (a MUST HAVE if you don't already own it!) Notice they don't really stand out very well. The solid paper is SU certainly celery and patterned paper is also certainly celery.


i took my chocolate pearlescent dew drop ink and my foam blender (and this is what i most love about the foam blender) and i dabbed the foam a bit on the ink pad and then just rubbed and smudged lightly on the cricut die cuts. these makes edging those intricate cuts SO easy - it sort of automatically makes the edges darker and now you can see they stand out much better. it will also highlight the detail cuts on pieces with those.



now for the ribbon hanger. i used more mod podge and attached a very wide celery ribbon (Michaels) - i turned each block face down and laid the ribbon on top so i could line them up. I left a piece at the top and looped it back to make a hanger and then tied another piece around it in a bow.



the whole 3D effect of these little blocks just fascinates me (i know it doesn't take much does it?!) i dotted Dimensional Pearls along the edges in Lettuce which matches perfectly.




these give you a closer look - sort of!

and now for some shippin fun!!! you may not see me for a couple days!! ha ha ha!! If you make a block project and upload to SCS please use TOTB so we can view them in one place!

No comments:

Post a Comment