Sunday, February 3, 2013

a peek of shimmer...

hi everyone!

we have had a fun weekend with our highs barely reaching 20 degrees YIKES!  my dad has been here on a surprise visit and i have been enjoying that.  he lives in utah and we rarely get an opportunity to see each other.  I got a call from my stepmom saying my dad was in miami and had just found out he had to be on the Hill next week for meetings so he was considering coming out here early straight from miami to see us for the weekend.  next thing i know UPS dropped off a giant box containing a suitcase full of suits so we figured the visit was on!  sure enough he's here!  he hung out for the day yesterday and then took us all out to dinner for Trev's birthday last night.  i officially have two children in their twenties - seems unreal to me!  how on earth did my babies get so big?  and how did i get so OLD?!??!?  having grown kids is turning out to be harder than i thought it would be.  a real struggle for me - having the benefit of past mistakes, hindsight, whatever you want to call it i have ideas of what they SHOULD do and of course they don't listen!  i am also second guessing my parenting - i should have done this differently or i could have done that differently - none of which is productive!  i am usually pretty good about leaving the past alone but this been a struggle.  like many other moments of parenthood! 

with that thought in mind i made the following journal page:

i began by covering my page in shimmering Luminarte mists - watermelon mist, lime squeeze and golden jade to be exact.  i made my own using water, Luminarte Primary Elements and Luminarte Bind & Resist powder in a mini mister of water.  however you can buy them pre-mixed as well - they are called Radiant Rain and they are luscious!

Once the page was dry I wanted to tone it down a bit so I sponged on some cream and light pink acrylic paints across the page - do this very lightly - you don't want to completely cover your shimmering base!  Next I used the same Primary Elements colors and this time I mixed them with a different medium - Clear Acrylic Glaze Medium - to make a glaze paint.  You can also buy this type of Luminarte paint pre-mixed as well - Luminarte Silks Glaze - to DIE for!  I applied my glazes with crumpled Saran Wrap across the entire page - again LIGHTLY! Once dry I stamped over the layers using brilliance ink - see all the lovely glimmers of shimmer peeking through?  notice also that the glaze resists the stamped ink and shimmers through - LOVE that!

My punched borders are a combination of glaze and mists and I misted my quote pieces as well.  By using the same three primary elements but mixing them with different mediums I created variety in the project while still maintaining some coherence.

My image is a Sherri Baldy image - i just love these little girls!  I colored her with colored pencils - learn how in my colored pencil classes on Color Me Creative!

3 comments:

  1. Love the page Marti! You are right these images from Sherrie are so cute! Oh btw Jon and I saw a tutorial about the paints and we ended up buying a whole bunch of them. He can't wait to get his hands on them. Hugs...

    Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, I never would have guessed you colored that with colored pencils. Wow, what a beautiful creation. Thanks so much for joining our besties challenge this week and hope to see you again tomorrow for the start of the new challenge. Your book is darling.

    Smiles Sher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to say it again, i can't believe this is colored pencil!

    ReplyDelete